Wednesday, 25 May 2011
Rockin all over the World !!
It's all over. ROCKERS are the 2010/2011 CITY AIR EXPRESS Carrick and District Pool League CHAMPIONS. In a titanic clash with nearest rivals Castle, John McClean's men came out on top by 8 frames to 6. It was a great advert for our League as the pool from both teams was top quality from start to finish, with a large audience looking on. But unfortunately only one of the duo could be crowned as Champions. The pressure was more on Castle as for them it was a must win match while Rockers knew a draw would keep it in their own hands going into their final fixture next week at Monkstown. But now it will be a party atmosphere instead of a pressure cooker situatrion on the Monkstown tight tables. Match frames as follows -
1. Castle - Irwin was always in control against McClean. 1-0 to Castle.
2. Rockers - McCorry broke dry for Castle. It was his only shot as Arbuthnot cleared the table.
3. Rockers - Darren Whiteside broke and dished against cousin Trevor. 2-1 Rockers
4. Castle - When McKelvey got his chance against Butler, he ripped them out in 1 visit. 2-2
5. Castle - Roberts outpotted young Carson. 3-2 Castle
6. Rockers - Darren Whiteside was a joy to watch as he broke and dished again against Morton.
7. Rockers - Irwin was unlucky as he potted a good black but went in off after a cannon. 4-3 to Rockers at the interval.
8. Castle - When McClean slipped up going for his finish, McKelvey closed it out. 4-4
9. Castle - An accurate McCorry finish put Castle ahead for the 3rd time in the match
10. Rockers - Irwin goes in off from the break and Butler clears in 1 visit. 5-5
11. Rockers - The shot of the night from Harris, leaves him an easy finish to put his team 1 frame away from at least a draw
12. Castle - An in-off on the black from Darren Whiteside gave McKelvey the chance to complete his hat trick. He didn't refuse it. 6-6
13. Rockers - A delightful split on his last 2 colours by Carson put Rockers 1 frame away from the League title
14. Rockers are Champions - even a mis cue on the black by Butler didn't stop it from finding gravity as Rockers reclaimed the title they last won in the 2008/2009 season.
Well done to both teams on the night, it was a great match for the neutral, and just a pity there had to be a loser.
Pictured above, The Rockers Pool Team with the Knockout Shield which they won earlier in the season. John McCleans lads have now completed the"double"